As part of FSMA implementation, FDA has announced a final rule, effective today, that will better protect public health by improving accuracy of the food facility registration database. The Amendments to Registration of Food Facilities will also help the agency more efficiently use its resources to conduct inspections and aid in a faster response to food-related emergencies.
The final rule adds provisions to the current regulations to codify certain provisions of FSMA that were self-implementing and effective upon enactment of the regulation, according to an FDA update. Provisions require:
- Email address for registration
- Registration renewal every two years
- Registrations must have assurance that FDA will be allowed to inspect the facility at any time
- Final rule effective July 14, 2016. Registrations must contain type of activity conducted at the facility for each food product category.
- Requirement of electronic submission of facility registrations takes effect January 4, 2020.
- As part of registration proves, food facilities must provide unique facility identifier (UFI) beginning October 1, 2020.